Tuesday, October 12, 2010

This mama bit off more than she could chew...

Hi Mamas! It has been a while, I know. I'm in the middle of getting my Masters degree and there are only so many hours in a day. Which means sadly, my culinary exploits have not been documented as much as I would like. Which isn't to say we haven't been eating great food- I just have been too lazy to post all the amazing food we've been eating.

That being said, it's time to make up for some lost time! In theory it's suppose to be fall; but here in Wisconsin it has been getting warmer- not colder; which is putting a serious damper on my stew/soup/slow cooker cooking! I promise as it gets warmer, I will post all my cold weather favorites.

I had a conversation with a friend a few weeks ago- she told me she rarely cooks meat because she's always afraid it's going to be undercooked, and as a result, she ends up overcooking it. I can understand her pain. But imagine how fortuitous it was when I came across this great salmon recipe from Nigella Lawson; it is literally fool proof. If you can read, you can make this impressive dish.

Roasted Salmon with Green Herbs- Nigella Lawson

1 2-2 1/2lb. skinless salmon fillet
kosher salt and freshly ground pepper
1/4 cup olive oil
2 T fresh squeezed lemon juice
1/2 cup minced scallions, green and white parts
1/2 cup fresh minced dill
1/2 cup fresh minced parsley
1/4 cup dry white wine
lemon wedges for serving

Preheat oven to 425 degrees. Place the salmon fillet in a glass, ceramic, or stainless steel roasting dish, and season it with salt and pepper. Whisk together the olive oil and lemon juice and drizzle the mixture evenly over the salmon. Let it stand at room temperature for 15 minutes. In a small bowl stir together the scallions, dill and parsley. Scatter the herb mixture over the salmon fillet, turning it so both sides are generously coated with the green herbs. Pour the wine around the fish fillet. Roast the salmon for 10-12 minutes, until almost cooked at the center at the thickest part. The center will be firm with just a line of uncooked salmon in the very center. Remove from oven, cover the dish tightly with aluminum foil and allow the fish to rest for 10 minutes. Cut the salmon crosswise into serving pieces and serve warm with lemon wedges.

I would recommend serving it with roasted fingerling potatoes and or a butternut squash- both in season now.

Much love,
Mama Cucina

No comments:

Post a Comment