Tuesday, August 3, 2010

Meal Delivery Week 4- White Lasagna

I have a confession to make. In my heart of hearts, deep down in my soul I love casseroles. I think they are pretty much the greatest thing ever; even better if they involve cream of mushroom soup and hamburger. I think I inherited this slightly kitsch-y trait from my Grandmother, who prepared quite a few meals for my sister and I growing up. Many of them were casseroles and they were all delicious.
So for my last week of meal delivery, I had to go back to my roots. I dug back into my Taste of Home Make-a-Meal cookbook and selected a very tasty white lasagna. I know it's been in the 90s here lately and the thought of lasagna might be too much; but hold onto this recipe in November, it's a good way to get rid of turkey leftovers!
White Lasagna


1/2 cup butter
1/3 cup all purpose flour
1T dried minced onions
1/4t garlic powder
1/8 t pepper
2 cups chicken or turkey broth
1 cup milk
1 cup grated Parmesan cheese- divided
1 4oz jar of sliced mushrooms- drained
9 lasagna noodles, cooked, rinsed and drained
3/4lb fresh cut asparagus, cooked and drained
2 cups cubed cooked turkey or chicken
6oz. shredded mozzarella cheese
6oz thinly sliced fully cooked ham, chopped

In a large saucepan, melt butter, stir in flour, onion, garlic powder and pepper until blended. Gradually add broth and milk. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cook and stir for two minutes, or until thickened and bubbling. Stir in 1/2 cup sauce Parmesan cheese.
Spread 1/2 cup sauce in a greased 13"X9"X2" baking dish. Stir mushrooms into remaining sauce. Place three noodles in the pan. Layer with asparagus, chicken, mozzarella and about 1 cup sauce. Top with three more noodles, the ham and half the remaining sauce. Cover with remaining noodles and sauce. Sprinkle with remaining Parmesan cheese. Bake uncovered at 350 degrees for 35 minutes or until heated through.

No comments:

Post a Comment