Tuesday, August 31, 2010

The ONLY way I eat carrots...

I consider myself to be a foodie; I will eat just about anything and will try almost anything once. With one exception. Carrots. I hate hate hate carrots more than any other food in the world. I will not eat them on a plane, I will not eat them on a train... I do not like them Sam-I-Am!
Well, with one notable exception. I love carrot cake. The combination of dense, moist carrot cake with sweet cream cheese frosting is one of life's most perfect pairs. Mmm. So here is a recipe for a carrot cake that a cousin brought to my Grammy's birthday party earlier this month. I am not going to talk about how "healthy" this cake is, because, well, it isn't. But sometimes mamas, you gotta have your cake and eat it too!

Carrot Cake
2 cups sugar
1 1/2 cup vegetable oil
5 large eggs
2 cups flour
2 teaspoons baking soda
1 tsp salt (optional)
2 tsp cinnamon
2 cups grated carrots
1/3 cup raisins (optional)
1/2 cup (or more) pecan pieces or walnuts
1 20 oz can crushed pineapple (drained)

Preheat oven to 350 degrees, grease a 9x13" baking pan, set aside.
Mix sugar and oil together, add eggs one at a time. Add dry ingredients. Add carrots, raisins, and nuts. Add drained pineapple last. Pour evenly into pan. Bake for 40-45 minutes or until a pick or cake tester inserted in the middle of cake comes out clean.

Recipe for Cream Cheese Icing:
1 - 8oz brick cream cheese, room temperature
1 tsp vanilla
1 stick butter, room temperature
1 lb + powdered sugar....add more as needed
can add 1 sq of melted white chocolate
Mix together until creamy.

No comments:

Post a Comment