Sunday, July 25, 2010

Chocolate chip cookies and a chocolate malt meet...

One of my greatest joys in life is flipping through cookbooks and finding new recipes. A few weeks ago my sister gave me a copy of Taste of Home: Make a Meal Recipe Book. The book is divided into three horizontal flaps: one flap containing recipes for entrees, one containing side dishes and the final containing desserts. Since I already had the entree selected for my meals-on-wheels delivery this week this cookbook came in handy- helping me select a dessert.
I found a recipe for Chocolate Malted Cookies and was immediately sold on these as a perfect twist on chocolate chip cookies:

Chocolate Malted Cookies

1 cup butter flavored shortening
1 1/4 cups packed brown sugar
1/2 cup malted milk powder ( I substituted ground up Whoppers malted candies)
2 T chocolate syrup
1 T vanilla extract
1 egg
2 cups all purpose flour
1 t baking soda
1/2 t salt
1 1/2 cups semisweet chocolate chips
1 cup milk chocolate chips

In a mixing bowl combine the first five ingredients; beat for two minutes. Add egg. Combine the flour, baking soda and salt; gradually add to creamed mixture. Mix well. Stir in chocolate chips and chunks. Shape into 2" balls, place 3" apart on ungreased baking sheets. Bake at 375 for 12-14 minutes or until golden brown. Cool for 2 minutes before removing to a wire rack.

I know there isn't anything particularly seasonal or organic about these cookies, but everyone needs a treat every once in a while, right? I promise these cookies will satisfy your sweet tooth!
Much Love,
Mama Cucina

No comments:

Post a Comment