Sunday, July 18, 2010

Meals on (Mini Cooper) wheels: week two

As I mentioned in one of my previous blogs, I am making weekly dinner deliveries for family members that just had their second baby. This summer has been incredibly hot and humid (just the way I like it!); and it really changes the meals I prepare. Normally I'd deliver casseroles and hot vegetable dishes, but how appetizing does that sound when it's 95 degrees out? So today I went with one of my favorite cold pasta dishes.

I have no idea where this recipe came from, I found it photocopied and jammed into one of my recipe collections. According to the recipe "This salad is a popular specialty of La Prima carry-outs in Houston, Dallas and Washington D.C". So while I've never been to La Prima, I have made this in my own kitchen and think it's perfect in hot weather. The combination of creamy mayonnaise, fresh dill and tomatoes and grilled chicken are all perfect on a hot day.

Fettuccine and Chicken Nicoise Salad

12oz fettuccine
1lb grilled chicken breasts, shredded or sliced into thin strips
3 medium tomatoes, diced
4 tablespoons capers, rinsed and drained
3/4 cup mayo
1 T chopped fresh dill
2 t salt
1t freshly ground black pepper

Mix together chicken, tomatoes, mayonnaise, dill, salt and pepper. Refrigerate several hours. Cook pasta until al dente, drain, rinse with cold water and drain again. Mix pasta and chicken salad and refrigerate until well chilled.

This is a great make-ahead recipe: make the chicken portion of the meal on a Sunday night and on Monday night all you have to do is cook the box of pasta and combine. How easy is that? This recipe is seasonal- you can find dill at your farmers market and tomatoes are just starting to pop up.

Much love,
Mama Cucina

No comments:

Post a Comment