Saturday, July 10, 2010

Get Stuffed.

You can only be so prepared for the adventure that is parenthood. You can understand the fact you're going to be sleep deprived; but actually going for 32 hours without a nap is another thing. You can understand the baby cycle of eat-poop-eat-poop-maybe some vomit thrown in for fun- and sleep if you're lucky. Being a new parent is overwhelming to say the least.
When Sawyer was born my personal heroes were the people that brought us food. One of Kevin's friends showed up with four casseroles (there were literally post-partum tears of gratitude in my eyes) and one of Kevin's cousins agreed to drop off a meal every week for a month. And we're not talking a dish of food... we're talking AN ENTIRE MEAL: entree, several side dishes and desert. Seeing Liz come to the door with bags of food was the highlight of my otherwise overwhelming sleep deprived new mommy life. I still remember her salmon, leek and fennel pot pie. YUM.
Liz just had her second little girl last week and I decided to return the favor for her... because mamas have to stick together! So tomorrow I'm delivering my first meal and I wanted to make sure the meals I prepared for her and her family were relatively healthy and would appeal to adults as well as a toddler. And really isn't that what all mamas (new or otherwise) are looking for?
So here is a recipe I LOVE for stuffed peppers. I got this recipe from Glamour magazine several years ago (don't laugh! They have great easy recipes I use all the time!) and I have made this several times because Kevin loves it and it's easy.

4 red peppers
1 10oz box couscous
1 15oz can chick peas
1/4 cup toasted pine nuts
4 T olive oil
4oz crumbled feta cheese
1/4 cup chopped mixed fresh herbs (I recommend basil and mint)

Slice off the tops of the peppers, clean out the seeds and veins. Simmer in a pot of boiling water for 7-10 minutes until they are tender (don't let them get mushy). Set the drained peppers aside

Make couscous according to package instructions. Then, combine with herbs, toasted pine nuts, olive oil, crumbled feta cheese and the canned, drained chick peas.

Fill peppers with couscous mixture and serve. Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment